How long to bake chicken at 400 F?
How long to bake chicken breast at 400?
Preparation and ingredients
Baking in foil is a simple and convenient technique with which you can cook meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and fruits deliciously. When used correctly, a small piece of foil works real miracles – it helps to cook dishes faster, make them more juicy, tender and healthy. Today I propose to bake chicken breast in foil.
Foil cooking is one of the simplest, healthiest, and easiest ways to cook chicken breast. Many do not like chicken fillet, considering it too bland and not juicy enough. If you are also of this opinion, then you simply have not tried cooking chicken breast in foil in the oven!
A little bright colors – spices, herbs, spices, a handful of fresh vegetables, and the breast will turn into a real feast of aromas and tastes. A foil envelope will ensure that the meat remains juicy. Tightly packed in foil, the chicken breast will remain juicy and tender even with prolonged baking, to say nothing of the 30–40 minutes that we will keep within.
Just a few minutes of preparation and you have a bright, light, healthy and tasty lunch or dinner on your table. You can add a side dish or serve the breast as an independent dish if you are dieting.
- Chicken breast – 1 pc;
- Salt – to taste;
- Ground black pepper – to taste;
- Mustard – 1 tsp;
- Garlic - 2–3 cloves;
- Curry seasoning – to taste;
- Ground paprika – to taste;
- Lemon - 3–4 slices;
- Thyme or other herbs – to taste;
- Vegetable oil – 1 tsp.
Add bright spices
To make the breast irresistible, add bright spices. I use mustard, lemon, garlic, paprika, and curry powder. Furthermore, a few sprigs of thyme and a couple of drops of herb-scented oil.
Process and brush the chicken breast
Rinse and pat dry the chicken breast. Leave or remove the skin as you like. Make several longitudinal oblique cuts. I also brush the breast with a small amount of vegetable oil infused with thyme.
Cut off a piece of foil
Brush the chicken breast with mustard. Cut the garlic into slices and put into the resulting pockets. Salt and pepper.
Cut off a piece of foil large enough to seal the breast. I take a piece 3-4 times larger than the breast.
Can add side dish
Simultaneously with the breast, you can cook a light vegetable side dish. Just add some vegetables to the bottom of the future envelope. Drizzle with vegetable oil, sprinkle with salt, ground pepper and other seasonings as desired.
Lay the breast on a bed of vegetables. Sprinkle with herbs and spices to taste. I add curry and paprika.
Add a few slices of lemon and herbs for flavor. I like thyme.
Wrapping in foil and baking chicken breast
Wrap the breast in foil, tucking the edges in tightly. You will get an improvised sealed foil envelope in which all aromas and tastes will be preserved and mixed. Try to leave some free space between the breast, edges, and top of the envelope, so all the seasonings and spices will remain on the breast, forming a delicious crust, not stick to the foil.
Place the foil-wrapped chicken breast in an oven preheated to 400 F. Bake for 25 minutes.
Check and brown the crust
Cut open the top of the envelope and open the foil slightly. Be careful – there is a lot of hot steam inside.
Place the breast in the oven for another 5–7 minutes to lightly brown the crust.
Chicken breast is ready!
The breast is fragrant and juicy. Spices and spices give it a rich taste, which can be further emphasized with a simple and neutral side dish. I like rice and vegetable salad. Enjoy your meal!
Benefits of chicken meat
The product contains many minerals, amino acids, high-quality vitamins A, E, B1, B2, B4, B6, B12, which are the basis for the prevention of many diseases.
Chicken fillet is one of the important products for a healthy diet and maintaining a normal metabolism in the human body.
The high content of nutrients contributes to:
- Strengthening bones;
- Losing excess weight;
- Normalization of blood circulation;
- Increased mood (an amino acid called tryptophan is responsible for this);
- Improve vision (a large amount of beta-carotene);
- Strengthening the nervous system;
- Increase physical activity;
- Acceleration of tissue healing from wounds, burns;
- Improve the appearance of skin and hair.
Chicken meat contains the vitamin niacin, which prevents the formation of cancer cells, and magnesium helps fight fatigue syndrome. By the amount of potassium, chicken is the richest type of meat.
Energy value of chicken fillet
White meat is a dietary product rich in phosphorus, selenium, copper, calcium, while it contains little fat. Due to its low calorie content, chicken meat is very popular in many diets.
The energy value of a raw chicken product is 113 kcal per 100 g:
- Proteins – 94 kcal;
- Fats – 7 kcal;
- Carbohydrates – 2 kcal.
Proteins are the largest source of energy, while there are practically no carbohydrates in the composition, and this is extremely essential for achieving good results in dietary nutrition. To be friends with calories and not clog your liver with harmful fats, we recommend harmless white meat with a high content of easily digestible carbohydrates and vitamins.
Fresh bird selection rules
One of the basic rules of a tasty and high-quality dish is product freshness.
An experienced chef will say:
- Smell. The chicken must be chosen with the eyes and nose. At the slightest unpleasant smell, refuse to buy.
- Hide. The skin of the chicken should be pale white with a pinkish tinge, without gray spots. The skin of an old bird is thicker and rougher.
- Fat. The fat of fresh young chicken has a slightly yellowish color.
- Defects. Blood clots, tears, fractures on the carcass are not allowed.
How long to bake a chicken breast at 400 F
- Chicken breast (on the bone) – 600 grams;
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon;
- Garlic – 3 large cloves;
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons;
- Ground black pepper – 1/3 teaspoon;
- Salt to taste.
- For cooking, cut the breast from a whole chicken carcass or take the finished breast. We leave the skin, it will protect the meat from drying out during open baking. Rinse it well, soak it with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. We take the breast in one hand, grab the salt with the fingers of the other hand, and sprinkle liberally on all sides.
- We send coriander seeds to a mortar. Seeds can be replaced with ready-made ground coriander.
- Grind the coriander well with a pestle. A wonderful aroma appears immediately.
- Peel the garlic cloves, one by one we send it to the press and squeeze it out. You can also just finely chop the garlic.
- Prepared garlic is sent to a mortar with coriander, pour in vegetable oil, add ground black pepper. Vegetable oil will better reveal the aroma of coriander and, when baked open, will contribute to the formation of a bright, beautiful crust.
- Once again, grind all the ingredients well with a pestle so that the juice stands out from the garlic and mixes with vegetable oil.
- Pour the fragrant garlic mixture onto the prepared breast with salt and rub well on all sides. We turn on the oven to 400 F. Put the chicken with garlic and coriander on a piece of foil.
- Wrap the meat tightly in foil so that it can be easily opened from above later. We shift the chicken in foil to a baking sheet or in a form and bake in the oven for 35 minutes. When baking, a wonderful aroma will begin to appear, and a hiss will be heard inside.
- After 30 minutes, open the foil from above. There is a lot of garlic left on the skin, which, when open, will burn and add an unpleasant aroma. Therefore, with a spatula or spoon, we clean the chopped garlic and bake the breast for another 20–25 minutes until a beautiful crust forms.
- We take out the most delicious juicy breast, immediately transfer it to a plate, supplement it with greens and serve it on the table. Baked vegetables, mashed potatoes and boiled cereals to taste are perfect for it as a side dish. An addition to a fragrant dish can be a salad of fresh cabbage, carrots, and beets with the addition of pickled onions and vegetable oil.
- Spices. For cooking, you can use any spices and herbs to taste. Garlic goes well with suneli hops, thyme, and rosemary. You can take a mixture of Italian or Provence herbs. Beautiful color and amazing aroma will give curry and turmeric. Fragrant meat will turn out with oregano and tarragon.
- Garnish. Vegetable side dish can be cooked with chicken. To complete this, take vegetables that cook quickly. Onions (onion and leek), broccoli, sweet peppers, cauliflower, tomato, and zucchini are perfect. We cut the vegetables, put them on the foil (we form a “pillow”), place the breast on top of them and then, as per the recipe.
How to cook chicken breast in a pan?
- Chicken breasts – 1 piece;
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons;
- Garlic Powder – 0.5 tsp;
- Paprika – 1 teaspoon;
- Salt – to taste;
- Dill – 0.5 teaspoon;
- Black ground pepper – 0.5 teaspoon.
Cooking chicken breast in a pan
- How to fry juicy chicken breasts in a pan? It is better to take chicken breast fillets, as I often do, but it is possible and a breast with a bone. Chilled is better than frozen. You can cut the breasts from the chicken carcass. All the spices and seasonings I have dried, but if desired, you can use fresh dill and garlic. Any vegetable oil: from olive to corn, but it must be refined oil, to avoid burning it.
- I cut the breast off a complete chicken. If you did the same, then it is advisable to remove the bones and skin from the breast. But don't throw away those parts. The bones are great for simmering broths, and the skin can be used to make crispy chips.
- Cut lengthwise into 2 – 3 pieces. Of course, you will cut into 2 or 3 parts depending on the size of the chicken, but make sure that the pieces are not too thin, and otherwise the breast will not be juicy, but rather dry.
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces. Lightly beat them with a hammer on one side. Precisely slightly, do not overdo it!
- Don't salt the chicken before frying. Salt draws liquid out of meat and fish, and if they are salted at the very beginning, then in the finished dish they will be dry. Salt is added at the very end of cooking. Sprinkle with paprika. Do not feel sorry for paprika: it does not have a pronounced taste, but it will add brightness to the finished dish.
- Pepper, sprinkle with garlic powder and dried dill. Leave for literally 5 minutes so that the meat has time to soak in the spices.
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil well, put the breasts, fry for 5–7 minutes on each side over low heat. If you have a grill pan or a pan with a non-stick coating, then it is quite possible to fry the breasts without using oil, which is certainly healthier.
- The breasts may need to be turned a couple of times. At the very end, salt the fried breasts, reduce the heat to a minimum and cover with a lid. Leave for 7 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Fried breasts cooked according to this recipe are very juicy and tender, which, in principle, is rare for this part of the chicken. For many housewives, it is often dry. Serve breasts immediately while they are hot. Bon appétit!
Important! The wrong pan can ruin even the best recipe.
Any oil is useful only until a certain temperature is reached – the smoke point, at which the oil begins to burn and toxic substances, including carcinogens, are formed in it.
How to cook deep-fried chicken breast
A very bright, quick and tasty option for cooking chicken breast from available products. Egg breading, flour and crackers give a delicious crispy crust, and inside the chicken meat is tender and juicy. Such a chicken breast can be safely served on the festive table!
- Chicken fillet – 350-400 g (2 pcs.);
- Eggs – 2 pcs;
- Breadcrumbs – 80 g;
- Flour – 80 g;
- Salt – 1 tsp (to taste);
- Black ground pepper – 0.5 tsp (to taste);
- Refined vegetable oil (for frying) – 150 ml.
Cooking deep-fried chicken breast
- Prepare all the food. We use refined, odorless oil.
- Rinse the chicken fillet, dry it and put it on the board. Step back 2-2.5 cm from the edge of the fillet and cut it into 3 – 4 parts towards the other edge (“fan” as shown in the photo).
- Grate the prepared chicken with salt and ground pepper. You can use spices to taste.
- Dip fillets in flour on all sides.
- Break the eggs into a deep bowl, stir with a fork until smooth. Dip the fillet in the egg mixture on all sides.
- Then coat the chicken in breadcrumbs.
- Pour oil into a preheated pan and heat it for about 30 seconds. Place behind the breaded breast in the oil, fry for 4 minutes on each side over high heat, until golden brown.
- Then put the chicken breast on a plate, remove excess oil with kitchen paper towels. Prepare the remaining fillet in the same way.
- The breaded deep-fried chicken breast is ready.
Can you bake frozen chicken?
If you have a frozen chicken that you wanted to bake in the oven, it's okay, below are the best methods for defrosting chicken.
Here are some great ways to defrost chicken:
- In the refrigerator. The best thing to do with frozen chicken is to defrost it in the upper compartment of the refrigerator, where the temperature is stable around 3-4 degrees Celsius. During the night, she will slowly unfreeze without experiencing shock. Well, or put it there in the morning if you have to cook it for dinner. At the same time, the chicken does not need to be taken out of the factory packaging – otherwise, during this period it will become weathered and absorb extraneous odors. Chefs have a good habit of making preparations. It is worth calculating the menu in advance, understanding when you will need this chicken, and taking it out of the freezer within the specified time.
- At room temperature. If the chicken needs to be thawed faster, it is best to leave it at room temperature in the sink. The sink is needed in order for water to drain there, but the chicken itself should not be watered with water. It usually takes four hours to make the chicken fit for cooking.
- Cold water. There is an opinion that the chicken will thaw faster if you put it in cold water – I checked and did not notice a difference. It is all the more obvious that the air temperature in the kitchen is higher than the temperature of cold tap water.
- Heating device. If you need to accelerate the defrosting process as much as possible, put the chicken close to the included stove or battery. So that it still thaws at room temperature, but, let's say, slightly elevated.
- Microwave. There is another way, available and possible, but I do not like it. This is the defrost mode in the microwave. I do not like the microwave, but I have to admit that the texture of chicken meat does not deteriorate when defrosted this way. So, if you are comfortable with this gadget, and you need to defrost a chicken quickly – yes, this method works.
How to check the readiness of the chicken?
There are 2 options: using a special thermometer and improvised methods.
If you have a thermometer, then you need to stick it into the chicken breast itself and hold it there for a few seconds. If the temperature is 74 degrees Celsius and above – the meat is ready. The advantage of a thermometer is that it does not disturb the appearance of the finished dish.
Well, if we discuss improved methods, then the simplest, of course, is to cut the meat and make sure that it is not pink, but white and without blood. If you want to avoid spoiling the appearance of the chicken, then you can take a wooden skewer and pierce the meat in the thick part. If white juice stands out without an admixture of pink, then the chicken is ready.