How long to boil whole chicken?
How to boil a whole chicken?
Preparation and ingredients
Prepare the ingredients for proper chicken cooking. I will cook it whole, as boiling the whole bird with the bones will make a rich broth. The bird can be domestic – broiler and soup, or store. The cooking time of boiled chicken depends on this and on the weight of the carcass. Poultry must be boiled for at least 2-2.5 hours, a store-bought chicken will be ready in an hour of cooking.
If the chicken is frozen, it must be thawed. This can be done in the refrigerator or in cold water, but it is not recommended to leave the chicken at room temperature, as if it is left for a little longer, bacteria can form.
To make the bird and the broth fragrant, I suggest using roots and various spices. If you cook homemade soup chicken for 3–4 hours with a large addition of roots: carrots, onions, celery root, then after a specified period of time we will get a rich broth. Such a broth can bring down the temperature and raise the patient with a cold to his feet.
Spices must be put necessarily when cooking chicken. It can be black or white pepper, or you can take a mixture of 4 peppers, you will also need a bay leaf. Today I want to experiment and put rosemary in the soup instead of bay leaf, half a teaspoon will be enough.
So, take the chicken out of the package and rinse well under cold water. Peel and wash the onions and carrots.
- Water – 3 liters;
- Chicken – 1 pc. up to 1.8 kg;
- Onion – 1 pc;
- Carrot – 1 pc;
- Bay leaf – 2 pcs. Or rosemary;
- Black pepper – 0.5 tsp.
We start boiling
Take a large saucepan (at least 6 liters) and pour 3 liters of water into it, then put on the stove, wait until the water boils. Place chicken and onion with carrots in boiling water. The latter can be cut in half to fit in the pan.
The bird can also be lowered into cold water. But we figured out how to cook chicken properly. Because it is dipped in boiling water, the protein will coagulate in a smaller amount, but still, the resulting foam must be periodically removed from the broth. Furthermore, if you want a more dietary broth, you can remove the fat with a spoon.
We put spices
Add spices: black peppercorns (or white), rosemary (or parsley – 2 leaves, or thyme).
In addition to spices and roots, to improve the taste and usefulness of the broth, dill, and parsley stalks can also be put in it.
We continue to boil
After boiling, you need to salt the chicken and the broth: just add 1 tablespoon of salt to the pan. It is also worth continuing to remove scale. Leave to cook for an hour and a half over medium heat. We cooked for 75 minutes.
You can set a timer, so you don't overcook the chicken.
How to check if the chicken is ready?
To check the readiness of the bird, you need to stick a narrow knife into the thickest part of the breast. If it goes through easily, then the chicken is ready. In addition, if there is a probe or a kitchen thermometer, then you can check the readiness of the chicken with it.
It is necessary to stick a thermometer or probe into the thigh: the temperature should be at least 75 degrees Celsius.
Enjoy your meal
After the specified time, turn off the stove and leave the chicken in the pan for 10 minutes. So, the chicken will be juicy and tender. It is according to this recipe that you can properly cook chicken. Enjoy your meal.
Tips for cooking a whole chicken
You can use the following tips:
- The first secret. Chicken should be boiled in a small amount of water. Our goal in this case is tasty chicken meat. And the resulting broth is an accompanying product. It will not be much, but due to the ratio of water to the weight of the bird, it will turn out saturated anyway.
- The second secret. It is that in order for the boiled chicken to look beautiful, it must be cooked in a rather cramped pan. Therefore, choose a pan in which your bird will enter entirely, but will not be able to flap its wings. This will limit the chaotic contraction of the muscles during cooking, and the finished bird will keep its “hands at the seams”.
- The third secret. Before the main cooking, pour over the chicken into a saucepan with boiling water from the kettle and drain this first water. Why is it necessary? Firstly, the first chicken broth is advised to drain. Here, of course, there will be no broth, but still. And secondly, after treatment with boiling water, the skin of the chicken will shrink from the temperature and the appearance of the finished bird will be better.
Cooking chicken is a business that, at first glance, seems simple and primitive. However, the usual boiled chicken still tastes different for everyone – both fresh, and dry, and very tender and delicious. By following simple rules, you can easily cook chicken correctly. So that it turns out to be the most delicious and soft.
Ready-made chicken can be used in salads and snacks, you can make pate or spread on bread. You can eat instead of sausage in a sandwich, and you can drink the broth just like that, or you can cook a rich soup from it.
How long to boil a whole chicken and more
To accurately determine how long to boil a whole chicken, it is advisable to understand the origin of the product. Broilers need to be cooked much less than soup chicken. The chicken has tender meat and a rather fragile skeleton. The bird intended for soup is older, the bone part is better formed, and the meat layer is thinner.
Remember that chicken, grown in the village, has a more developed muscular system. Therefore, poultry must be stewed even longer, and otherwise the meat will remain tough. Age individuals should be marinated before cooking. Lubricate the carcass generously with lemon juice or kefir and leave in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. How long to cook chicken until cooked after boiling, indicated on the table.
|Name of bird||Cooking Time|
|Chicken – Broiler||1 hour|
|Soup chicken||2 hours|
|Country Chicken||3–4 hours|
|Rooster||From 3 hours|
When trying to figure out how long to boil chicken for soup, just increase the indicated time by 30–60 minutes, the broth will turn out especially rich.
How to boil chicken properly
Intervals are for chilled meat. It is better to let a frozen workpiece thaw. When this is not possible, the bird must be poured with cold water and put on fire. To determine how much to cook frozen chicken, add 10–20 minutes to the time from the table.
Before cooking, the carcass should be prepared. If frozen chicken is used, it should be thawed at room temperature. In addition, you should adhere to the following recommendations:
- Removing feathers. The carcass should be examined for the presence of feathers, which are removed with tweezers;
- Amount of water. To cook a whole carcass, you should use a large pot. The water should cover the chicken completely;
- Amount of salt. For every liter of water, ½ teaspoon of salt is used. Salt the chicken immediately after boiling the water. In this case, the broth will be more rich;
- Foam. If foam forms during the cooking process, then it is removed with an ordinary slotted spoon;
- Vegetables. You can diversify the taste of chicken broth with vegetables: carrots, onions, celery root, garlic. Vegetables are put into the broth whole after boiling water;
- Which parts to use? For the broth, it is better to use a whole carcass or fatty parts: hams, thighs. Dietary dishes are prepared from white meat (breast). If chicken meat is boiled for salads or second courses, then it is better to use fillet;
- Old chicken. Such a carcass is marinated before cooking in kefir, mineral water or lemon juice. Marinating time is about 6–8 hours. In this case, the meat will be softer;
- Spices. Basil, oregano, marjoram and other spices are added at the beginning of cooking, and bay leaves at the end!
When cooking a chicken carcass, you should stick to one “golden” rule: it is better to digest meat than undercook it. Now you know how to boil chicken properly, but you should remember that the more tender the meat, the tastier the dishes from it will be. From boiled chicken, you can cook a variety of recipes for salads, main courses and soups. Poultry meat is one of the dietary products recommended by nutritionists every day!
How long to boil chicken for soup
The answer to this question depends on which parts are used. Small parts: wings, drumsticks and thighs are boiled for about 30 minutes. The breast or quarter is boiled for about 40 minutes. If a whole carcass is used, then the cooking time should be at least 50–60 minutes.
Soup chicken is on sale. It produces a thick, rich broth with a pronounced taste and aroma. Such a carcass is cooked for at least 2 hours!
If you managed to get a village chicken, then you should understand that a bird grown in such conditions has a dense, muscular skeleton. It is cooked for at least 4 – 6 hours. But the result is worth it!
When using a broiler, there is no need to wait for a rich broth. At the same time, after the first boil, it is better to drain the water!
If you do not know how long to cook the chicken, then its readiness is easy to check with a fork. If the meat is easily separated from the bone, then cooking can be stopped!
Benefits of chicken meat
Chicken meat is rich in proteins and much lower in calories than beef. It can be prepared in all sorts of ways, but cooking is the easiest. The chicken can be cooked in parts or whole. The meat in this way is tender, so if the recipe calls for ready-made chicken meat, then cook it in this way.
The chicken meat is very tender and light, digested very well by the body. Chicken is also rich in healthy nutrients. The female half of the population is often attracted to chicken meat by its low calorie content – it's only 230 calories per 100 g of product.
Chicken meat helps people trying to lose weight, as well as those who have problems with the cardiovascular system. Chicken is good for children and the elderly.