Legit.ng (formerly Naij.com) is a Nigerian digital media and news platform. It is ranked as the 7th overall most visited website in Nigeria by Alexa. Legit.ng is the biggest publisher on Facebook by the audience in ‘Media’ category.
“Legit” is a short form of “legitimate”, that means “honest and trustworthy”. The name underlines Legit.ng’s policy of fact-checking.
To be a guide, that leads the way through the news.
Founded in 2012, Legit.ng has its headquarters in Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria and launched an editorial hub in the country’s capital, Abuja, in May 2015. Legit.ng is partner of Genesis Media global consumer Internet company which also cooperates with Tuko (in Kenya) and Yen (in Ghana).
In May 2014, Legit.ng released an Android mobile app. It soon became #1 in its category in Nigeria and was featured by Google Play Market. The app hit 500,000 installs in 10 months. The all-time number of installs is now getting close to 5M.
In June 2015, Legit.ng partnered with browser software makers Opera Ltd. and telecoms giant MTN to bring “one million days of free Internet to Nigeria“.
The website’s servers were attacked by hackers in July 2015.
In August 2015, a news section in the Hausa language was launched.
In February 2016, Legit.ng was among the first in Nigeria to roll out Facebook’s instant articles. In 2017, Facebook did a case study of this launch with Legit.ng and published the story in the Facebook Audience Network.
In March 2017, Legit.ng started a local journalism project to connect the reporters representing all the 36 states and the FCT. In the same period, a missing person initiative was launched, which in future helped Nigerians find their loved ones and return them home.
In October 2018, Naij.com upgraded to Legit.ng.
As of July 2015, it has more than 13 million monthly readers and is ranked as the 7th overall most visited website in Nigeria and the 1st among publishers by Alexa. Currently the website’s Facebook community has over 4.3 million members. This means in less than 4 years Legit.ng has overtaken Sahara Reporters and other online news sites. Legit.ng is the biggest publisher on Facebook by the audience in ‘Media’ category.
In October 2018 the number of Legit TV YouTube channel subscribers exceeded 100,000 and the page got verified by the network. Legit TV is one of the TOP 50 channels in Nigeria.
Legit.ng is a technology-driven media.
Legit.ng’s staff use an analytical tool by .IO Technologies to explore real-time reports on articles’ performance and place the most relevant pieces of information first on the website’s title page.
In July 2018 Legit.ng audit by Alexa.com showed that the website has a rank 97/100. Audit included SEO, Performance, Security, HTML tags, Reputation categories.
Bloggers and columnists include Japheth J. Omojuwa, Tolu Ogunlesi, Ogunlowo Joseph, Bayo Olupohunda, Ibraheem Dooba, Mawuna Koutonin. Legit.ng also generates content based on user-submitted stories.
- “Naija.ng Site Info”. Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Okuku, Mitchelle (2018-10-24). “NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng”. Legit.ng – Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- (2012-12-27). “Click, click: See our pick of Top 10 Nigerian websites of 2012!”. YNaija. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- “Nigerian Blogs: List of Top 100 Blogs in Nigeria”. Wealthresult.com. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- “Nigeria’s Top Hundred Websites Of 2013”. TechCabal. 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2015-07-28.
- “[Latest] Top 21 Blogs In Nigeria 2018 Popular Nigeria Blogs – Oasdom”. Oasdom. 2017-08-29. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- “Top Sites in Nigeria – Alexa”. www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- “Top 100 Blogs In Nigeria | The Ultimate List | Updated | God of News”. www.godofnews.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- “Legit.ng Traffic, Demographics and Competitors – Alexa”. www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Socialbakers. “Facebook stats of popular Media pages in Nigeria”. Socialbakers.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- “LEGIT | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary”. dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- “Urban Dictionary: legit”. Urban Dictionary. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- “FACT CHECK: Has Forbes ranked Nigeria best economy in Africa in 2018? ▷ Nigeria news”. diasporaconnex.com. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- “corp.legit.ng”. corp.legit.ng. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- “The biggest publisher in Nigeria NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng – INFORMATION NIGERIA”. INFORMATION NIGERIA. 2018-10-18. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- “Почему украинские медийщики решили, что проще зарабатывать деньги в Африке и на Филиппинах → Roem.ru” (in Russian). 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-10-23.
- “NAIJ Legit.ng: Nigeria News Breaking & Trending – Apps on Google Play”. play.google.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Ukwu, Jerrywright (2015-03-30). “History! Naij.com Is The First Nigerian App To Reach 500,000 Downloads”. Legit.ng – Nigeria news. Retrieved 2018-11-13.