How long do you boil chicken thighs?
How to boil chicken thighs?
Defrosting, preparation and ingredients
The first step is to defrost in the microwave or at room temperature the thighs selected for cooking (if they were frozen). Thawed or fresh chicken thighs must be thoroughly rinsed in running cold water.
- Chicken thighs – 4 – 6 pcs;
- Water – 2 liters;
- Salt – 0.5 tsp;
- Spices – to taste (1 bay leaf, a couple of peas of black and allspice).
- Cooking time: 30 minutes, prep time: 5 minutes, boil time: 25 minutes.
- Calories: 165 calories (per 100 grams of product).
- Cuisine: European.
- Type of dish: Meat dish.
- Servings: 2 – 3 servings.
Let the broth boil
Pour cold water into the pan (on average half the pan) and bring to a boil over high heat, then add salt to taste, spices (bay leaf, allspice, and black peppercorns). If desired, a whole peeled onion and carrots (so that the meat is more aromatic and has a more pleasant taste).
Watching the boil
We put the prepared thighs in boiling water and, after boiling the water again in the pan, remove the foam that has formed and reduce the heat so that the water in the pan does not boil much.
How long will chicken thighs cook
After boiling water, cook chicken thighs for 25–30 minutes (if your goal is only boiled meat) or 40–60 minutes if you need a delicious soup broth.
Check for readiness
At the end of cooking, we check the thighs for readiness by cutting one of the largest pieces to the bone (if the meat is white inside and there is no blood, then the thighs are ready).
Note: Cooked chicken thighs can be left to cool in the broth and not taken out of it immediately, so that in the end they will be juicier and tastier.
Tips for cooking chicken thighs
When cooking chicken thighs, you must follow several simple rules.
Here are some of them:
- Defrost. If you urgently need to defrost meat and there is no time for its natural thawing, you can use the microwave. To achieve this, the microwave oven is set to the “Defrost” mode and the hips are placed in it for 1–2 minutes.
- Fat. In the manufacture of children's and dietary dishes, the layer of subcutaneous fat on the thighs must be removed. To complete this, pry off the chicken skin with a sharp knife and pull it together with the fat.
- Marinade. When cooking domestic chickens, it should be borne in mind that in order for the thighs to be fully cooked, they should be cooked within 30 minutes to 1 hour. To reduce the cooking time, such a product is recommended to be marinated beforehand. A marinade should use acidic ingredients such as lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or kefir.
Although boiling is the simplest and most unpretentious way to cook chicken thighs, with the right recipe and following the basic rules, you can get a delicious, healthy and healthy dish, with a minimum of cholesterol and other harmful substances.
Boiling chicken thighs
Chicken meat constantly holds the palm in popularity among other types of meat. Chicken is used to prepare full-fledged treats, snack dishes, amazingly delicious pastries. Chicken thighs lend themselves well to various types of heat treatment. Do you know, how long to cook chicken thighs? This is the question we will discuss today, as well as share culinary tricks.
Are you just starting to conquer the culinary heights and are wondering how long to cook chicken thighs until cooked? In this article, you will find answers to all your questions. Let's decide right away – chicken thighs are cooked for half an hour. In some cases, the duration of the heat treatment may be one hour. Now let's discuss this in more detail.
How long to cook chicken thighs after boiling? If you use parts of a broiler carcass, they will be ready in just half an hour from the moment the liquid boils.
Tip! Professional chefs recommend adding chicken thighs to well-boiling water, and measure the cooking time from the moment the liquid boils again.
The meat of a village bird will languish a little longer – from 40 to 50 minutes. But this is provided that the chicken is young. But the old meat will take much more time – at least one hour. In some cases, the meat of an old bird is boiled for about an hour and a half.
Are chicken thighs healthy?
Chicken thigh is the part of the carcass located above the drumstick, and includes the thigh-bone and the meat fibers located on it. The thigh is considered the most juicy and tasty part of the chicken carcass and is often used for cooking soups, frying, grilling and preparing various salads. Boiled thighs can be served as an independent cold appetizer, or used as one of the components in the manufacture of culinary dishes. A chilled thigh can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days, and a frozen one can retain its nutritional properties for six months.
Thighs are a very useful product and contain vitamins of groups A, B, C, E and PP, as well as a large amount of potassium, sodium, zinc, phosphorus, iron, and several essentials amino acids. Despite the obvious benefits for the body, eating chicken meat typically causes allergic reactions. It's connected, firstly, with a high-protein content, as well as with the use of hormonal drugs, antibiotics and weight gain accelerators, which unscrupulous manufacturers feed chickens.
Chicken thighs are not classified as diet food, and therefore cannot be used as a staple in weight loss diets. The energy value of a boiled thigh without skin is 165 kcal, with a little more skin – 200 kcal. The calorie content of stewed and fried thighs can even reach 230 kcal. The nutritional value of the product looks like this: proteins – 30.1%, fats – 11.4% and carbohydrates – 2.7% per 100 grams.
How long to boil chicken a thigh?
There are several ways to cook thighs for soup or a second course – in a regular saucepan, in a slow cooker or in a double boiler.
In each case, the cooking time takes a different time:
- In a saucepan, the chicken thigh will cook for 25–30 minutes. Before loading it into water, you need to wait until it boils completely. Then count the cooking time from the moment of complete boiling. The foam must be removed periodically. If the cooked thighs are allowed to cool directly in the broth, they will turn out even juicier and tastier;
- The housewives who use this miracle technique know exactly how much to cook chicken thighs in a slow cooker. On average, this will take about 20 minutes in the appropriate cooking mode. The meat is very tender and juicy;
- In a double boiler, meat can be cooked both without the bone and with the bone. It will take about 40 minutes, but the meat will retain all its beneficial properties. You need to cook the thighs in one row.
How to cook chicken thighs in a slow cooker?
- Chicken thighs – 0.8-1 kg;
- Water – how much will it take;
- Carrots – 100 g;
- Onion – 100 g;
- Creamy or refined vegetable oil – 30 g;
- Salt, seasonings – to taste.
Step-by-step instructions: how to cook chicken thighs in a slow cooker?
- The first thing to do is wash the chicken thighs well. Then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Now you need to rub the meat with spices and salt. There is a little secret here! In order for the thighs to be better saturated with spices, first you need to mix the spices with vegetable oil, then salt this marinade and only then carefully rub it into the chicken pieces. In this form, it is better to leave the meat for 20 minutes, this will give the dish a richer and more pleasant taste, as well as aroma.
- Then, carefully put our thighs soaked in spices in the multi cooker bowl, and sprinkle with garlic on top, which must first be peeled and cut into very thin slices.
- Now the simplest remains! Close the multi cooker and select the “Baking” mode. The time, which our dish needs to be fully cooked, 60 minutes.
- But there is one more essential point! 30 minutes after the start, you need to open the slow cooker and turn the thighs to the other side. This must be done, so in order not to forget, we advise you to set an alarm clock, otherwise the chicken may bake unevenly.
- That's it! With the correct execution of the entire cooking algorithm, in an hour you will get a tasty and aromatic dish that can be served at the table with potatoes, rice, or a more dietary option – with buckwheat.
To make the dish more tasty and juicy, it is better to give preference to chilled thighs than frozen ones. If you want to combine meat with cereals or potatoes, it is better to select the “Pilaf” mode. For those who would like to cook very tender and soft meat, the “Extinguishing” mode is suitable. When “Baking” in a slow cooker, you get the same effect as in the oven, but without a crisp. For those dieting, it is best to use the “Steamed” mode, such a dish is guaranteed to contain a minimum number of calories.
How to cook chicken thighs in a double boiler?
- Chicken thighs: 5–6 pieces;
- Kefir: 150 ml;
- Dry adjika: 0.5 tsp;
- Salt: 1 tsp.
Step-by-step instructions: How to cook chicken thighs in a double boiler?
- Meat needs to be prepared for pickling – washed, cut off all unnecessary, for example, excess fat or skin, remove the remnants of feathers. If there is a tail, then it can also be cut off – it consists of almost only fat.
- Salt each thigh on both sides, also sprinkle with dry adjika or any other spices. If desired, you can make the meat spicy and add more red pepper.
- Pour the chicken with kefir, its fat content is not relevant, mix everything and leave in a cold place for at least 30 minutes. The longer the chicken marinates, the more tender it will turn out. But, in principle, 2–3 hours will be more than enough.
- Then everything is simple: cover the steaming container with cling film or foil, make sides so that the gravy does not spill out. Put the thighs in a container, pour the rest of the marinade. Cover the steamer with a lid and cook for 50 minutes. Serve with sauce, garnish, herbs.