How to melt chocolate chips? Guide
How to melt chocolate chips? Instruction
Chocolate chips are used to decorate cakes and muffins, glaze cookies and fruits with them, and use them as a topping for pancakes. The main thing is to melt it correctly.
There are several ways to melt chocolate chips. Today we will talk about two of them – try, experiment and choose the one you like best.
This is the best way to melting chocolate chips. If you do not have a microwave, double boiler or multi – cooker, an ordinary saucepan of water will save you.
To melt chocolate chips in a water bath, you will need two containers (metal or heat-resistant glass – it doesn't matter). You can take two saucepans – one larger, the other smaller; saucepan and bowl; two bowls. We will pour water into one pot, put the chocolate chips in the second and put it on a pot of water. There is only one condition: the container with chocolate should not touch the water.
Choosing chocolate chips
Not all chocolate will turn into a smooth and shiny glaze. It is best to melt bitter or dark chocolate with a cocoa content of at least 50%. If you are melting milk chocolate, then it must contain at least 35% cocoa. White chocolate can also be melted in a water bath, but you need to keep a close eye on it – it is a very delicate product that melts quickly and overheats easily.
Due to various additives and cooking technology, aerated chocolate is not suitable for melting, as well as chocolate with additives. It will melt unevenly, may delaminate or even gather into hard lumps.
Melt the chocolate chips
Put a pot of water on the fire and heat well, but do not bring to a boil. Then turn off the heat and place the bowl of chocolate chips on the pan. To make the chocolate melt faster, you can grate it first.
Please note: Do not melt chocolate chips directly from the refrigerator. It must be at room temperature. Otherwise, it may become coated or exfoliate.
Keep her in a water bath until it starts to melting chocolate chips. If you notice that the water has cooled down a lot, turn on the fire and reduce it to the minimum: the water should not boil. Constantly stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula so that it does not burn and melts evenly.
If you see that the melted mass is too thick, add a piece of butter or a few tablespoons of warm cream to the chocolate chips. The cream must be warm or hot, and otherwise the chocolate chips will separate or harden. When the chocolate has melted, remove the container from the saucepan and mix well: the mass should turn out to be homogeneous, smooth, and shiny.
What problems can there be?
- The bowl of chocolate should not be allowed to touch the water. Excessive heat will cause the chocolate to separate, harden, and curl into lumps. Such chocolate can be restored: add butter and rub it properly, but it is no longer suitable for icing.
- Do not add water. Water will break the texture of the chocolate, the finished glaze will streak, and the beautiful shine will disappear.
Liquid chocolate is widely used not only as an independent product, but also for decorating pastries, as well as in the process of preparing various dessert drinks. Another area of its use is the manufacture of chocolate figurines, including at home. Therefore, there is nothing surprising in the relevance of whether how to melt chocolate correctly, that is, quickly and without problems, preserving its beneficial properties and excellent taste characteristics as much as possible. Consider the process of melting chocolate chips, and how long it takes in different ways. Several answers to it are described in detail in the article.
How to melt chocolate chips in the oven?
If you don't have a microwave and need to melt the chocolate quickly, use the oven: it will take you a maximum of 10 minutes.
You will need a heat-resistant container – a metal or glass bowl, a thick-walled saucepan. Chocolate chips at room temperature should be folded into a container.
Turn the oven on to a maximum of 60–65 degrees or on low heat, place the container with chocolate chips in the highest compartment of the oven. Remove the container for 4 minutes and mix the chocolate one well. 100 grams of chocolate will melt in about 10 minutes, during this time, you need to stir it 2–3 times so that the heat spreads more evenly.
What can go wrong?
- Do not cover the container with a lid. Condensation will form on it, and water can get into the chocolate – it can exfoliate, streaks and plaque form on it.
- Don't overheat the oven. Overheated chocolate will clump, burn, and taste bitter and unpleasant.
How to melt chocolate chips in the microwave?
Today, a microwave oven is in almost every kitchen. It is actively used not only for heating, but also for cooking.
It is quite logical that the microwave can also be used to melt chocolate chips.
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave: step by step
- The product is placed in a dish that can be used in the microwave. In this case, we are talking about a container made of heat-resistant plastic, porcelain, faience, ceramics without drawings and decorations;
- The dishes are placed in the microwave at one of the low or medium temperature conditions for a minute;
- After this time, the container is taken out, and its contents are mixed;
- If the state of the product is not liquid enough, the dishes are put back into the oven, but for 30 or 40 seconds;
- The described procedure is repeated until the chocolate of the desired consistency is obtained.
- An alternative course of action is also allowed, which involves the use of a special “defrost” mode. In this case, the contents of the microwave are heated in more gentle conditions, therefore, a container with chocolate chips can be placed immediately for 2 minutes.
- The dishes are then removed from the oven, their contents are mixed, and then re-sent to the microwave to obtain a more liquid product, or used for its intended purpose.
Advice. It is essential not to heat the chocolate too much. This will lead to its splashing on the walls of the microwave oven and, as a result, the waste of a valuable product. Therefore, for the first time or with a small amount of chocolate, it is advisable to choose the weakest temperature regime and a short heating time.
How to melt chocolate chips on the stove?
A modern gas stove is a versatile piece of equipment, both convenient and economical. It provides several answers at once to the question of how to melt chocolate chips on the stove.
The first involves the use of a gas burner, and the cooking method is called a “water bath”.
Melt chocolate chips on the stove: step by step
- A container of water is placed on a burner with the weakest possible fire;
- Chocolate chips are placed in another pan, smaller than their volume;
- The second container is placed on top of the first, creating the effect of a water bath when its contents are heated gradually and evenly;
- In the process of melting, it is necessary to constantly stir the chocolate to obtain a homogeneous product of the desired consistency.
The possibility of convenient and regular mixing distinguishes this method from most other options for making liquid chocolate.
Advice. To melt chocolate, use only a dry container. Otherwise, the product will start to burn, despite the gentle heating mode characteristic of a water bath.
How to melt chocolate chips on the stove: the second way
An alternative use of a gas stove involves the creation of a steam bath rather than a water bath. Its characteristic difference from the described method is that the second pan does not directly contact the water in the first container. As a result, heating occurs due to steam rising from below. This somewhat slows down the process, but makes the heating of the chocolate more even.
The fastest way to melt a sweet product using a gas stove is to directly heat a container of chocolate chips on a burner. In this case, it is necessary to carefully monitor its condition, constantly and thoroughly mixing. Otherwise, the chocolate will burn quickly.
How to melt chocolate chips on the stove: the third way
Another cooking method involves using a gas stove oven.
In this case, the chocolate melts as follows:
- Sweetness is crushed in any of the above ways;
- It is placed in a metal dish or a mold made of another material and intended for baking in the oven;
- The oven turns on at the lowest heating temperature;
- After performing the described operations, it remains to wait until the chocolate chips are melted, periodically visually checking its condition. Usually, it takes 7–8 minutes.
The main advantage of using the oven is the ability to prepare a large volume of liquid chocolate. Therefore, this method is often used as an answer to the question of how to melt chocolate to decorate a large cake.
How to melt chocolate chips in a fondue pot?
The fondue maker is a small container in the form of a pot or pot, which is installed on special legs. Under it is placed a burner or a small candle. A product is placed inside the fondue pot, which must be heated and melted. In the original, cheese was used in a similar capacity.
Today, instead of it, various types of butter are actively used and, which is important for the topic under consideration, chocolate chips. The melting of the latter should take place under your control and with constant stirring of the product. . Considering the low power of a burner or candle, this is enough to keep the chocolate chips from burning. Often, to improve the taste of the resulting liquid product, they add cream, cognac, berries, nuts, or fruits.
Advice. Using a fondue maker is very convenient if liquid chocolate is immediately eaten, for example, with any bakery product. The design of the device allows you to maintain the product in the desired state for any necessary amount of time.
How to melt chocolate chips in a slow cooker?
One of the most common answers to the question of how to melt chocolate without a microwave is the use of another type of kitchen equipment – a slow cooker. This simple and very convenient device provides the housewife with many additional features.
One of them is the hassle-free preparation of liquid chocolate. It occurs using the water bath already described above.
Melt chocolate chips in a slow cooker: step by step
- Chocolate chips are placed in a pot that is the same size as the multicooker bowl;
- Water is poured into the latter, after which a container with a sweet product is placed inside;
- The device is switched on in the mode of a water bath or steam cooking, provided in most modern models, the chocolate is constantly mixed.
The equipment will automatically turn off after 5–7 minutes, depending on the settings selected by the user. If necessary, the water bath mode is switched on again, as a result of which the chocolate is brought to the desired state.
How to melt chocolate chips in a silicone mold?
Silicon molds of various sizes and configurations are often used to make chocolate figurines.
In this case, the melting of the product occurs directly in them.
Melt chocolate chips in a silicone mold: step by step
- Place it in the form, which must be clean and dry;
- Place the molds on a baking sheet or in a large baking dish;
- Place the tray in the oven;
- Turn it on to the weakest fire;
- Melt chocolate for about 8-10, less often – 15 minutes, depending on the characteristics of the oven;
remove the baking sheet or mold from the oven, then let the product cool slightly, and then move the silicone molds to the refrigerator;
- At the final stage, the hostess will have to carefully remove the delicious figures from the baking dishes.